Monday, January 09, 2006

Monday blues

Not only the us humans suffer from Monday blues but the network here seem to be suffering from it too. This can’t be good given that I have a very short deadline and a long list of developments to complete. Now, without the network means access no to the internet, access to the files and folders and most important of all, access to the servers.. Everyone else seems to be working on their spreadsheets with some complicated chart, I very well should try to look busy too, and I figured blogging would be the best way.. haha.

This morning, my colleague John had to attend to something urgent in Shanghai, which means that I was left all alone to make my way to the office. I thought that it cant be that bad since I memorized the name of the road, Hesan road. However, the pronunciation can be a bit tricky, and I had to pronounce it a few times before the cab driver could understand.

Cabbie: Nie yau che nah li?( where do you want to go?)
Me: Sian che Her San lu ( Go to Hesan road first)

After 5 km’s into the ride

Cabbie: something something Her San lu something something ( at this point, i had no idea what he just mentioned)
Me: Nie che sian Her San lu, 360 hau ma. Nie tong PAANAASOONICC chai na lie ma? ( first go to He San road, number 360. Do you know where Panasonic is?)

Cabbie: shir puh shir, ching chong something something?
Me: err, yoh khan twei. ( I think so)

Another 5 minutes into the ride.

Cabbie: something something…. Han San lu?
At this point I started to get really worried, and the surroundings look a bit different.

Me: Yoh khan puh twei, sheh pu sheh Her San lu? ( I don’t think this is right, is this He San road)?
cabbie: ohh.. Her San Lu, jai chein mien ( It’s infront)

finally after another 10 minutes we reached out destination.

Cabbie: something something … I think he was trying to tell me that’s Panasonic in mandarin and he had fetched people there before.

Me: yea yea whatever..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home